Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: How about listening to a Magnepan dealer, Magnepan, and two reviewers ...

I am not saying that some of those high sensitivity speakers don't sound good...some sound very good; however, there are things a good planar speaker can do that they cannot and for many people's preferrence then a planar is a better choice. My point is that you CAN get stunning results from planars with lower power amps of the right design.

I have heard the Horning speakers and they are very good but if I was to go to that kind of speaker I would buy the Odeon No. 28 or 32. I have heard these with Einstein OTLs and it was one of the best sounds I have ever heard. I had for a while when I lived in a smallish flat in London a pair of Odeon's small bookshelf speakers, the Orfeo. It was a superb little speaker and of course mated will with my KR Audio VA350i. However, it doesn't have that special something I get from big planars.

I now have a pair of Genesis VI speakers and they do the planar-like thing but with an incredible bass foundation (given that it is fully active and servo-controlled it shoud be) and this probably has mostly to do with the fact that they are dipolar and use extremely good drivers of their own manufacture. They also work well with SET.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.