Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Recommendations for an inexpensive full function (tube) preamplifier.

Hey Guys, I am looking for some help and advice!

(FYI, I've upgraded beyond the standard entry level equipment, so I really don't know what is available and what is both decent sounding as well as reliable and affordable. Hence the reason for this post.)

So here is the story:

My brother-in-law wants to get his stereo up and working again. (He had a used Counterpoint preamp that died on him, so he needs to replace that.) He would like to buy new, as he has had a run of bad luck buying used equipment. (i.e. the aforementioned Counterpoint died quickly after he got it; his used Thule integrated amp had the preamp portion arrive DOA, and the seller would not take it back, so he is just using it as a power amp; and the used Thiel speakers he bought have had issues with the drivers going out as well.) But I am not sure what he can get for his budget, (which is less than $1,000). So I am still advising him to buy used, and hope for the best. (But given his luck, even I am not sure he should buy used. Did I mention that our mutual mother-in-law broke his stylus while dusting, twice?! If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck at all!)

So, I am looking for suggestions for either a used full function preamp, or a line stage and phono preamp, (although that might be more expensive than merely getting a full function preamp.) Or as an alternative, if anyone knows of a decent new unit, that would be even better. He would prefer a tube preamp, but if you know of a decent solid state unit, that would be okay as well. (Personally I am of the opinion that inexpensive tube preamps sound better than comparably priced solid state units. Once you've climbed up the price ladder, then solid state preamps can sound as good as their comparably priced tubed counterparts, IMHO anyway.)

I noticed a Music Reference RM-5 for sale here on Audio Asylum, which seems like a good choice, for $800. Any input on whether it is decent or not? (It appears that MR is no longer making preamps, but I always heard good things about their equipment.)

I thought about Jolida, as they do have a cheap tube line stage and tube phono preamp. Any thoughts on the low end Jolida line? (My brother has recently bought an integrated Jolida amp he likes, but I have no idea if their preamps are any good or not.) Nor do I have idea on how reliable they are.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Recommendations for an inexpensive full function (tube) preamplifier. - Raiderman 09:11:54 08/20/12 (18)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.