Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I using the KT120s.

They were a big improvement all around. And hopefully they are more robust than the KT-90s. I haven't lost a KT-120 in the last 6 months, and I use the amps heavily. It seems like I was blowing 2 or 3 KT-90s a year.

I still haven't found any input/driver tubes that sound better overall than the stock tubes (Jan Philips 5814s and EH 12AX7 gold pins). I've tried:

12AU7 position: RCA Clear Tops; Bugle Boys; RFTs
12AX7: RCA black plate, GE Black Plate triple-mica D Getter 5751, Ei Elites 12AX7 (Yugoslavian tubes), TungSol 12AX7 (Russian), TungSol 5751 (US, 1950s)

The RFTs were probablly the most interesting of the 12AU7s, with more precise imaging. But the midbass seemed lacking. The Ei Elites were my favorite of my 12AX7s before I realized how closed in on top they are. The GE 5751s have a nicely warm upper midrange, but I don't think the EH give up much here, and they have more air.

I noticed that the newer M-180 at my dealer is using JAN Sylvania 5814s (same as the Jan Philips?) and a J/J 803S for the input tube.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I using the KT120s. - Daverz 13:54:22 08/06/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.