Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Are tube liquidity/palpability and neutrality antithetical?

IMHO based on my study/work in the field the "liquidity" is predominantly a result of the amount of even order harmonic distortion produced - predominantly 2nd order.

For those who read all the misuse of the word "harmonic" on forums, harmonics are simply tones produced that are multiples of the fundamental. In other words, if you play a 1KHz tone you will also find tones at much lower levels at 2K, 3K, 4k, etc. If the number is an even number it is even-order distortion (2nd, 4th, etc.), if the number is even (3rd, 5th, etc.) it is odd-order distortion. Even order harmonics added to the fundamental sound warm and "musical"; odd-order harmonics added to the fundamental sound cold and shrill/harsh/etc. Harmonic distortion is the term used to describe it.

So it is clearly possible to have an amp that has extended frequency range and also has a distortion signature that is mostly 2nd order - meaning a warm "liquid" tone - but not have the rolled off top end that makes it "fat/rolled off" and "lush".

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.