Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Raptor

I heard the Raptors at the late, great Al Sekela's home a few years ago.

Al, as you may know, was a great audiophile and had for years used big Atmasphere tube amps (that he had tweaked severely) with his MG-10 speakers, never believing that any solid state amp would be able to compare. Until the Raptors, that is.

I believe you can find a number of references and descriptions of the sound and performance of the Raptors by Al himself, if you do a search either here or in the "Tweaks" section, at AA, or generally through Google.

When I heard the Raptors at Al's home, they were powerful, detailed and quite extended. They definitely had the big MG-10s under control, with stunning low frequencies and exceptional imaging. They were impressive amps.

BTW, for many years I had a pair of MG IIIa speakers that were hyper-modified by Randy McCarter. They were quite astonishing; most folks felt they were among the best speakers they had ever heard, and they were powered by big, hyper-modified ARC Classic 150's. So, I know what magic can be made with tubes and Maggies.

I never heard the Maggies I owned with a D-Class amp in my own home listening environment, so I cannot make a direct comparison. The Raptors definitely had full control of the MG-10s when I heard them at Al's home. Whether you would like the synergy, I cannot hazard a guess.

My understanding is that the folks at Raptor offer (or at least I believe they did at one time) in-home trial periods for evaluating the synergy between your peripheral components and the Raptors, but that may or may not be the case, and I could be imagining such a courtesy.

I would say give a call to Raptor's manufacturer/rep and see what can be done regarding a home audition.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Happy Listening!

Cheers,

WS

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.