Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: What is the benefit of balanced inputs/outputs

One thing you need to realize is that in order to get the most (any?) benefit out of a balanced preamp, you also need to run your amp, (and if possible, your sources), as balanced as well. (And they need to be truly balanced, not the pseudo balanced that some manufacturers add on as a convenience to the customer.) If you don't run completely balanced through your system, then running balanced merely through your preamp does not really accomplish anything, as you would need to convert from single ended to balanced going from your source to your preamp, and then from balanced to single ended going to your amp.

I run all balanced, from my cartridge (tonearm cables are terminated with XLRs), through my preamp, (Ayre K-1xe), to my amplifiers (Lamm M2.1 monoblocks). I am extremely happy with the results.

FYI, Read Ralph's response below, as he is VERY knowledgable about balanced equipment. (I believe he actually designed and built one of, (if not the), first truly balanced preamps.)

Edits: 07/24/12 07/24/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What is the benefit of balanced inputs/outputs - Raiderman 09:31:08 07/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.