Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Salon2 amp

Hey NuTreez69,

Well, I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
(FYI, I have forwarded a link of this thread to my friend with the Salon 2 speakers and the Lamm M2.2s, so hopefully he'll provide some input, which will be first hand experience versus my second hand experience.)

First, he only uses the M2.2s, and does not bi-amp. His room is rather large, as it is a probably 12 feet wide and 25 feet long, with really high ceilings. (And there is a another area off to the side which further increases the volume of the room.) He prefers listening at very loud sound levels, (as does my other friend with the M2.2s), and I have never heard any clipping, or graininess, or even a hint of less refined sound when cranked up. (This is one of the reasons we all like the Lamm hybrid amps.)

Second, he typically listens to jazz, with a bit of classical and vocals mixed in. (He is not really into rock, as I am. However, my M2.1s will crank pretty high in my room, (16' x 24'), with my Andra II speakers.)

As far as your other questions, I am not really capable of answering them. (I'd rather say "I don't know", than to guess or give you a BS answer.)

Well, good luck, and I hope my friend can help you out.

PS I should point out that the hybrid Lamms are really more of a solid state amp than a tube amp. (They only have one 6922 tube in the driver stage - the input and output stages are handled via solid state design.) And I should also point out that the amps will sound considerably better if you use some NOS tubes in them. (Luckily tube rolling is rather inexpensive as there are only two tubes!) If you're looking for a truly tube sounding amp, I highly recommend the VAC Phi 300.1 The bass is not quite a good, (as expected from a 150 wpc stereo tube amp), but the mid-range and treble is fantastic. If you have the money, you can buy two of them, and use them as 300 wpc monoblocks, and (according to what I've heard), this will provide rock solid bass response!

Edits: 07/20/12 07/20/12 07/20/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Salon2 amp - Raiderman 08:21:15 07/20/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.