Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I figured it out

Thanks to all who replied. Everyone who answered was correct, and the replies helped me to understand what was confusing me. Here's how I understand it:

The short answer to my question is that the gain specification is simply being expressed as a dB gain based NOT on just the dB increase the amp is putting out, but rather, based on the TOTAL of the input voltage PLUS the output dB.
( That's really what I wasn't understanding ) That's why the Bryston, which offers a choice of input sensitivities, puts out 23 db with a 2 volt input and 29 dB with one volt input. The output dB ( or voltage, or watts, however we express it ) is the same. It's either 2 volts plus 23 dB or 1 volt plus 29 dB, because by doubling the voltage we are increasing the dB by 6. ( Of course, dB are dimensionless, and are just an expression of ratios )

Similarly, to use the Theta amps as an example, as the Watts went up, they were also raising the input sensitivity, so that the same 26 dB gain they were listing needs to be *Added* to the (increasing ) voltage of the input sensitiviy. That's where those extra watts were going. The reasons for the manufacturer raising the input sensitivity is not clear to me, but at least partly it has to do with keeping the system quiet, as I understand it, but I suppose there are other reasons as well.

In answer to roscoeiii below, I'm not sure why manufacturers talk about watts rather than dB,( other than tradition, and because adding 100 watts is more impressive than adding 3db to a 100 watt amp) but perhaps my problem in adding voltage to dB gain is one reason. Perhaps it's easier to go from watts to db than to convert volts to dB and add.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.