Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: potential system

Here's what I do.

Basic two-channel setup (2.1 actually) is:

Integrated amp

Inputs are:
Turntable (via external phono stage)
CD Player

Outputs are:
Two main speakers
Sub woofer via Pre-out/main in using "Y" cables. (Could use subwoofer "out" if integrated had one, or could use speaker level connection (Integrated --> Sub --> Front speakers)

For two-channel listening, simply select input (CD or turntable) and I'm set.

I then configure HT Receiver as follows:

Inputs are:
DVD player
TV signal

Outputs are:
I use the 2 front channel pre-outs from the HT receiver to connect to Tape In of Integrated
Center and rear speakers wired directly to HT receiver
Subwoofer "out" cable **See caveat below

So, surround sound listening (movies, TV) utilizes the DVD player as source. The HT receiver handles center and surround speakers directly, with signal to two front channels going from HT receiver to integrated amp via HT pre-outs, and from integrated amp to two front speakers.

Caveats:
Must match volume of front speakers to Center and rears by adjusting the integrated separately from the HT receiver. Not really a big deal in my book as front speakers seem to handle a fairly minimal amount of data and don't need to be perfectly matched in volume to center and rear.

Subwoofer out for HT. In order to get low frequency effects for HT I've connected an RCA cable from the subwoofer "out" of HT receiver. When watching movies I have to go to the subwoofer, remove the RCA cables that are connected to integrated and plug in the RCAs that are connected to the HT receiver. I don't watch enough movies that this is a big deal, but it could be for others.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: potential system - ml0062 10:23:11 07/09/12 (1)
    • I agree - sbrians 12:59:25 07/09/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.