Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

A point about ultra linear

UL comes to us from a patent in the 1950s. The original patent called for a very specific point on the transformer for the screen tap. If done that way you got the linearity of a triode with about 90% of the pentode power.

Other companies wanted this but did not pay the original patent holder, and got around the patent by changing the point of the tap. This had consequences, not the least of which was the triode linearity suffered.

The point of this is not all UL are the same. Do they use the correct tap point? For example, Dynaco never did.

What Stu says is true (the reliability issue had nothing to do with it being UL, BTW), but it makes a difference how hard you push the amp. If you don't drive it hard the load sensitivity does not manifest. However tube power is expensive so as audiophiles we tend to buy amps that have 'enough' power and then try to use every drop.

Its for this reason I have always preferred triodes. True, they are more expensive but due to the distortion characteristics they have a greater amount of 'usable' power. IOW you can push them harder before they get unpleasant.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.