Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: The basic issue is the audibility of distortion

"There is just as much evidence that the "tonally rich" sound of tube or zero-feedback class A designs caused by 2nd order HD"

Such as??? References please...

" Your own argument that a level of distortion might be undetectable in a sine wave but apparent with complex signals might apply as much to 2nd order HD as it does to higher order."

Your comment tells me you haven't understood the concept of masking if you had you would realize that low order distortion is different because of masking and high order distortion, especially at lower levels, is not masked.

"Designers willing to use liberal feedback don't argue that it is a panacea; linear devices and a reasonable number of gain stages are everyone's ideal. However it's doubtful that low, local feedback is better than more, global feedback."

And you know this how? By making a survey of designers?

"In fact I think opamps get a worse rap than they deserve. My DAC uses OPA2314's and an OPA2604 and is very transparent and free of grain and etch."

And I think that you have no idea what freedom from grain and etch is. I also think that the opamp has proabably done more damage to the music industry and hifi than you can imagine.

Look up the article by Russel O. Hamm on microphone preamps and the switch from tubes to transistors and opamps (they categorize them separately because of their performance difference to discrete transistors). VERY interesting and its no longer so surprising that many of my best sounding recordings predate the widespread use of transistors.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.