Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: harmonic distortion does not get 'buried in the mix'.

Ralph said:
" Honestly, if you work on amps, preamps, speakers and do measurements on them we would not be having this conversation!"

That's a pretty ignorant and presumptuous statement - but I expect no less from a tube amp shill.

In this thread you've provided nothing in the way of concrete data or measurements to back up your outrageous assertions concerning the alleged superiority of tube amplification or the failings of designs employing significant amounts of negative feedback. Every single post you've produced has focused on pure conjecture and anecdotal BS. There really is no mystery concerning the BS that the "high end" amplifier industry relies on for its survival. Claimed differences in sound were debunked long ago. And tube fanatics refuse to conduct blind tests or endorse the results of such testing like this famous one:
http://www.hometheaterfocus.com/receivers/amplifier-sound-quality.aspx

wherein this is stated:

"When it came down to the blind A-B testing of the 25 testers, only 3 participants scored 60% or greater correct when they guessed which amp was which, when comparing between two. Nobody got higher than a 63% score. Most amazing was that in testing between the Pioneer amp and the Futterman array, only 114 of 212 listeners could tell the difference -- thats a 54% correct guess! This is the most extreme example: audiophiles not able to tell the difference between a $200 Pioneer receiver and a $12,000 separate mono-block tube amp array with separate power supplies."

Sadly, your claims and thus you have devolved to the level of fraud and I see no point in further communication on the subject. "Honestly", you obviously derive a livelihood from the sale of this equipment so it is highly unlikely that you would admit to something that would hurt sales - even if it were true which in this case - it is.

I'm not saying any of this to try to convince anybody who has fallen in love with glowing amplifier tubes that they are wasting their money. I'm merely responding to condescension and ridicule by obnoxious snake oil peddlers who hurl insults at people (like me) that don't buy into their BS. I don't mind criticism as long as it is valid and based on science rather than audiophool religion or pure conjecture.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.