Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: You can't do it for the price with this speaker!

It also depends on how deafening you listen to your music.

Still I personally tend to prefer Higher efficiency speakers with tube amps. The great thing about easy to drive speakers is that you have so many more amplifier choices open to you. You can still run the 6 kabillion watt SS amps but you can also get those 5-25 watt SETs and actually have the option to pay for quality and not be forced to buy quantity.

I have yet to "hear" a LE speaker that offers any substantial advantage over higher efficiency tube friendly loudspeakers and usually they seem to sound much worse at low volume levels (except ESL panels). It's that lack of clarity at low level that may be why people buy the big SS amps - but their high negative feedback rules them out instantly as being High End regardless of their price points. It amazes me that sub $2k tube amps with modestly priced HEish speaker sound absolutely real while 1000 watt power amps and mega priced LE speakers sound so bad in comparison even at 20 times+ the price.

I'd personally consider Higher efficiency speakers - not everything needs to be a horn either. (Although horns get a bad rap because most judge horns based on those older $1k Klipsch models in box chains from the mid 80s).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.