Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: I think there are a few.

Ralph said:

"Speed is an indication of bandwidth. Wide bandwidth means correct phase relationships in the audio passband (20Hz-20KHz)"

Really Ralph? I never would have guessed that! LOL!

Who do you think you're talking to - another clueless audiophool?

Once again, like Morricab and many others who have a clear agenda to sell, compared to the phase problems and distortion problems (of all types) produced by speakers in the audio chain, the distortion and phase problems produced by reasonably well built amplifiers are MINISCULE. No rational, reasonable person is going to hyerfocus on "hundredth's of a percent" of distortion from an amplifier when the loudspeakers the amps are connected to are generating distortion on the order of a few percent.

The claimed audible differences between tube and solid state amps is related to the interaction between the loudspeaker's impedance with that of the amplifier. In the case of a typical tube amp, this can be significant. Extremely wide bandwidth in the context of audio is a fool's game that I learned about 25 years ago. There is no audible advantage to an amp that has a half megahertz bandwidth. And the disadvantage is huge - high susceptibility to oscillation and self destruction when components age and their values shift.

I would challenge any of the audiophools participating in this or any other thread to put their money where their big fat mouths are. If you think you can hear the third, fourth, fifth, or even up to the 15th harmonic of a 1khz signal that is 60 db down from and masked by a moderately loud fundamental, I'd like to buy you an Atma-Sphere tube amp. If you can't, you can donate all of your system to a charity of my choosing - excepting the tube amp - you can keep that.

New Audiophool Rule:

TUBE AND ANTI FEEDBACK FANATICS PUT THE PSYCHO IN PSYCHO-ACOUSTICS.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.