Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Power Amplifier: Quality of watts vs. Quantity of watts

I recently heard my 2 Way monitor with Accuton Ceramic drivers (80Hz to 22kHz, Sensitivity: 80dB/watt/meter, impedance does not fall below 7 Ohms) powered by Mastersound 845 Monoblock Tube Amplifier (Class A, 50W RMS/channel). It sounded far better than my NAD C390DD Direct Digital Amplifier which is (Class D, 160W RMS/channel).

The sound of NAD was clean/lean, and I was trying to add warmth/body to my music system by changing cables. With Mastersound tube amplifier, the sound now had body, holographic (huge soundstage) and was easy to listen for long periods of time. I live in an apartment and I do not crank up the volume. I would be satisfied if I play music up to 90dB. Based on SPL calculator, I require at leaset 25W to get 90dB at listening position 10 feet from the loudspeakers.

This experience has made me think that I need 'better power' rather than 'more power' (quality of watts vs. quantity of watts). Has this been your experience? Should I change my amplifier to a Class A tube amplifier to add warmth/body and soundstage to my music system? Are there any solid-state amplifiers that have similar sound?

Note:- I will be adding a Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofer to my music system soon.

Edits: 06/28/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Power Amplifier: Quality of watts vs. Quantity of watts - bssk 14:41:29 06/28/12 (70)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.