Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Headroom can be for voltage amps and EQ as well as amplifiers...........s

I first heard the term working in sound studios. Remember analog tape machines ? We would record live music at as hot a level as practical, while leaving some "headroom" for crescendo peaks; so as not to overload (saturate) the tape/tape head/electronics synergy.

When choosing a preamp/headamp/phono cartridge combo, we need to consider how the components interact with the rest of our system. If the low ouput moving coil cartridge needs a step-up tranny or headamp, there better be headroom in the preamp to prevent the preamp stage from overloading. Likewise, concerning the preamp output level, we want to be able to drive the amp/speakers to comfortable levels, plus a significant headroom margin to be able to cope with dynamic peaks and/or be able to push the levels to party levels; without distorting. We like headroom.

So, you might be able to reduce all the answers, here and below, to setting up the sound system with enough "reserve" to always prevent overload distortion. Headroom relates to system synergy in a big way...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Headroom can be for voltage amps and EQ as well as amplifiers...........s - Interstage Tranny 15:55:48 06/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.