Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: The definition

Yes, charging caps for bursts is easier than full-time high current supply neede for 'a' operation.
I did note the headroom idea in my first reply::

However, don't count out a/b just yet. My favorite example would be back to the Pass amps.
The xa30.5 and the x150.5 are very similar. I don't know how 'under the skin' this goes, but they each weigh about 75lb.....and are both offered as integrated amps. I suspect the major difference is in bias PS and how that is managed.
The 'a' amp? Stereophile got about 100 a side while the 150 was honestly rated. Remember me at Christmas.

Now, a question for 'ya.
My 'd' amp is rated at 250rms, yet that is for 60 seconds. the FTC rating is much lower.
Now, do you call that headroom or specsmanship or ??? The amp uses B&O modules with included SMPS.

I'd also think that unless you were simply a fan of 'a' amps, that listening and intended use would be one of the arbiters of amp choice. I know I never tap the RMS part of my amp, regardless of how it's rated. I may use 20 RMS and allow for a 10x peak factor. Easy for the amp and it never warms. (4 ohm panels)
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.