Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: agreed on all counts! Thanks for putting this up.

Well Ralph, I have heard some amps that can drive difficult speakers and still sound great. Some of those speakers even sound great (such as the Apogee Scintilla) when driven by a great amp that can handle them.

For example, I have some friends who are Apogee nuts (I also owned Apogee) and several of them have Scintillas. The hunt was on for a great sounding amp that could handle those bad boys. What we found was this:
Sphinx Project 16 sounds great with the Scintillas. It is a 100 watt Class A hybrid beast that has adjustable power supply depending on the load.
Lamm M1.1 also drives Scintillas well and sounds good in the process

VacuumState prototype (not sure if it went commercial before Allen died). Allen brought this over to my friends and we demoed it on the Scintilla. 150 watts into 1 ohm! A tube amp designed specifically for Scintillas and sounded great.

For somewhat less demanding speakers there are a number of good hybrid amps that don't use any or only a little negative feedback. The Einstein Light in the Dark is a good example and I think its even a circoltron design. The AcousticPlan Santor is another very good sounding hybrid and drove Apogee Divas beautifully. For a low budget there is even the excellent sounding Monarchy Audio SE250. And if you have a big budget then the KR Audio Kronzilla SX will give just about anything (yes even your amps Ralph) a run for their money.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.