Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

I agree BUT

Hi Dan, I agree with you that the reviewer's comments were meant to convey that "your system has to be suitable for distinguishing between these two cartridges."

In my original post I was trying to learn if there were some constants (e.g., specifications, circuit design, component quality) that would indicate that one phono stage was "better" than another. For instance, if you were looking to buy a computer for gaming you would check the cpu speed, video RAM, etc. to see if it was suitable. For loudspeakers you might check on-axis frequency response. Is any of this type information available for phono stages? For example, is there a wealth of information that says a phono stage using 12AX7 tubes, in a no feedback design, is "better" than one using jfets? Or, would a dual mono stage with closely matched high grade components have a lower noise floor or wider bandwidth than one of the same price (in a pretty box) but using cheap components?

If I were looking to upgrade from a point that I believe is already good, am I restricted to simply picking one that is much more expensive? How will I know before I spend a fortune that I have actually improved my component? Is there a way of knowing?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.