Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.
This is a duplicate post from General forum. Sorry for the inconvenience but I need some opinions fast.
I have an Adcom GFA6000 amp and matching pre-amp that I haven't used for a while. They were replaced by a Denon AVR-2805 receiver, so I could update the movie/Dolby modes and save some space.
I was told that the new receivers "sound just as good as separates". I thought this was wrong and it was. I have learned to live with the slightly degraded sound coming out of my B&W Matrix 805 speakers. I imagine you could learn to live with being waterboarded eventually also.
The receiver has crapped out and a buying opportunity has arisen.
Do I buy a USED Integra DHC 9.9 pre-amp ($625) to run with the GFA 6000 or do I buy a NEW Anthem MRX300 receiver ($900)? New pieces have a full 3 yr warranty, used comes with a 30 Day warranty. Either piece would be from a highly respected store.
Obviously the Anthem receiver takes less space and is simpler to install, costs $275 more and has a better warranty. I could sell the Adcom amp and probably cover most of the price difference.
Would the Adcom/Integra pair SOUND BETTER enough to be worth the extra wiring/space, shorter warranty, etc? I also keep $275 in my pocket.
Thanks in advance.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Buying decision. Help needed - JoeyG 05:05:54 05/28/12 (12)
- audiphile HT - mbnx01 10:20:11 05/28/12 (1)
- RE: audiphile HT - Kal Rubinson 11:08:46 05/28/12 (0)
- well - bullethead 07:19:49 05/28/12 (9)
- RE: well - Sturmey 21:50:57 05/30/12 (0)
- RE: well - JoeyG 08:24:54 05/28/12 (7)
- Emotiva is a good brand. Question... - Enophile 10:02:25 05/28/12 (6)
- All the Anthem AVRs have preamp outputs. (NT) - Kal Rubinson 11:10:13 05/28/12 (5)
- You're a good man, Kal. * - Enophile 15:06:17 05/30/12 (0)
- RE: All the Anthem AVRs have preamp outputs. (NT) - JoeyG 13:38:17 05/28/12 (1)
- No iPad. Real PC. (NT) - Kal Rubinson 15:18:44 05/28/12 (0)
- RE: All the Anthem AVRs have preamp outputs. (NT) - JoeyG 11:24:17 05/28/12 (1)
- RE: All the Anthem AVRs have preamp outputs. (NT) - Kal Rubinson 15:20:16 05/28/12 (0)