Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Tubes are just a different sound

So you haven't tried them. Not everything is true you read about tubes or SS for that matter. Some myths come out from listening to one with bad caps. off spec resistors and tired tubes etc,

Not necessarily a different sound, just easier to listen to for long periods. Just depends on the circuit as some can be hard to listen to or not that accurate.

For example a rebuilt Harman Kardon Citation II doesn't sound tubey, just very accurate without the SS negatives.

I just mentioned the Dynaco ST-70 as it was in your price range. Some prefer the vintage output transformers sonic wise and the whole amp can be found for a decent price ($250-350) if patient then cleaned up and rebuilt.

Research which board you want as there are a few new ones out there with CCS like Bob's supplier of boards one and Gregg from classic valve design. These boards follow the Mullard circuit and there is a board from Triode Electronics which follows the original Williamson style circuit using in production tubes.

Part of the reason for all the boards is the availability of the 7199 driver tube has been poor so very pricey now for even questionable ones.

You can adapt easier to find tubes if you want to keep the stock board. Probably some values of resistors should be changed to do it properly from what I've come across.

The beauty of the design is you can try different boards and tubes.

The Dynaco Mark III could be another affordable choice as many were built too. The stock board apparently isn't too bad, but there are a few after market Mullard circuit boards out there for it too.

Anyway the Dynaco's like many vintage tube amps can use more capacitance in the PS and the addition of chokes or better than stock ones in the case of the Dynaco's. This will improve the bass and get rid of any tubey sound.

After reading these forms perhaps a great compromise between power and sonics would be a class A PP tube amp with DHT tubes if one had the $ for the good tubes! You wouldn't need the super efficient speakers like practical & affordable SE amps require.

Hope that helps!

Randy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tubes are just a different sound - rmyauck 09:59:31 05/20/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.