Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: VAC PA100/100

I spent 5 years with a VAC PA100/100 in my system and loved every minute of it. It has a rich, big and deep sound that was wonderful. I had a VAC Standard Pre LE running Merlin VSM-MMs. Probably the best combo I've ever run and truly regret selling it. It has great drive and I believe I remember Kevin telling me he used Thiel 3.6's in his test rig which aren't too easy to drive.

I am not familiar with your speakers or the Phi upgrade.

I've chimed in on the occasional thread on this amp over the years and also remember Ozzy's comments. Oz seems like a great guy, but something was wrong with the amp, his setup or his synergy to say that it sounded like horrible SS. I could not disagree more, but he's entitled to his experience. It was very tuby in my system and could be tuned with the power tubes. I had some Shuguang KT88's that were big and fat sounding and were wonderful. You could tighten that up a bit and remove some of the big tubiness with Ei KT90's.

The build quality and relibility is great and on the used market it's truly a bargain.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: VAC PA100/100 - tommytube 08:34:10 03/23/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.