Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Why so little feedback on the Mark Levinson #53 Monoblocks ???

I'm extreamly biased for. Still, I was suprised that Harman's first offering in their ML line was a statement switching amplifier.

Consider the heritage involved with this type of amplifier. Without going all the way back to the 60's and Lars Lundahl's idea and fast forward to Paul Mcgowen's offering.

IMO, it's a few things. Beginning with Stereophile's review and classification of PS Audio's $1500 HCA-2. This review directly challenged the big spending minions who have no idea of what's possible in high quality audio because they simply haven't heard it yet. Then there's the internet. That bastion of anonymous stature, opinion, and rumor.

All the while are the designers. These are the people who have actually heard almost everything out there and with more practical acoustical experience than a large percentage of the audio press who most of the minions rely on for acceptance into the club.
If you're ever lucky enough to spend some non trade show quality time with one of these people you will soon realize that you and the other 99% of the opinionated in this hobby (myself included) don't know dick about whats possible with the equipment they already own.

So, If you're considering the #53 beware of those blanket declarations, "All class D," by people who've used the wrong ancillaries and made little or no effort with switching amps. Or those, for one reason or another, find class D as an affront to their investment and who may see most class D as still an off the shelf component build fast buck conspiracy.

Consider the real experience behind this budding segment of the audio industry. Make a short list of designers starting with Harmon International or JRDG and ask yourself what is it that these already lauded and successful people are hearing in their designs. Consider how many advancements they have made in such a short time. Also consider their acknowledgment of the speed of advancement and the generous upgrade paths many manufactures offer their customers who are enjoying the ride.

If your still interested look into Hypex nCore.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.