Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE:Here's the interesting part.........................

The new Genelex KT-77 are said to be great. Haven't personally heard them yet but will probably end up buying a quad set this summer to try them out. I rolled out the stock tubes for new versions of Mullard EL-34's, 12ax7's, and went with the new version of Tung-Sol for the 12a7u's. Made a noticeable improvement even though the stock tubes were fine as is.

The reason I did not opt for the Magnum version, which got rave reviews is first I don't care for the name lol, but the real reason was that from what I had read the KT-90 tubes, though great, would not suit my personal taste, and as I'm not driving Maggies, I don't need the 90 watts per channel. I really can't say enough good things about the Cronus though. Worth every penny.

Out of sheer curiosity, would 75 watts be more than the bare minimum to drive Maggies to respectable sound quality? I am currently using Haydn Grands with a REL T-5 subwoofer which sounds effing great to me, just wondering about Maggies though. I have planar headphones (HiFi Man HE5-LE's) which I love too so was just wondering.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE:Here's the interesting part......................... - guest... 16:44:42 03/13/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.