Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Amplifier Modifications

I noticed the same improvements that you did. In my earlier post I highlighted the bass rolloff that got me aiming at higher input impedances. That is because the bass was so noticablely lacking when I inserted the Cary against my Mac amp. Going back to the Stereophile measurements I also noted that rolloff was likely in the highs as well, but I wasn't getting as upset about reduced highs as I was the bass.

Once I put the Magtech in line everything fell into place, both the bass and the upper registers as well. Like you, I considered the reason that the Magtech was possibly a step up in quality (I love this amp), but just focusing on frequency range support it is clear that proper matching is necessary for tube preamps. You don't have to raise overall quality or cost to drive frequency ranges correctly. A cheap amp with overall inferior sound can still support a full range.

I was very close to jumping into tube amp territory just to match the impedances, but that is not necessary if you look closely at the specs and buy correctly or can get equipment adjusted as needed. I love the tube preamp with SS amp combination. Best of both worlds in my mind.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.