Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Amplifier Modifications

OK...I've had my new amp for only a few hours but felt compelled to post to this thread.
The new amp is a McCormack DNA-1,which has an input impedance of 100k ohms. The old amp was a B&K Ref 125.2s2, which was rated at 33.2k ohms. The preamp is a Don Allen linestage, which I've been told likes the 100k input on the amp. Well, I've been told right.
I must say that the B&K is a great amp. With very similar output ratings, it seems like a somewhat fair comparison.(I realize the DNA-1 retailed for about twice that of the B&K)With a solid state pre, I thought the B&K sounded fantastic, but with the Don Allen tube pre, something was missing. It still sounded great, just couldn't put a finger on that "something".
Enter the DNA-1. It seems like its opened up on both ends of the spectrum. More bass. More treble. Effortless. Maybe its just a superior amp, but I can't help but believe that this has something to do with the impedance matching.
I've talked to people who've said the only difference would be in the volume control.(ie. being too loud at 9o'clock position) This,in my opinion,is not so. That hasn't really changed, but I swear I've picked up another octave in the bass region. Almost as if I've added a sub. The treble seems more airy too. I'm not sure why this is, or even its if just in my head.
It might just be a better amp, but I'm certain its a better match. Just my two cents.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.