Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Is my preamp grounded properly?

Hi,

I have a Rega RP1 turntable, Yaqin MS-12B phono preamp, and Yaqin MS-20L integrated amp. The preamp has a stud for a ground wire. The Rega has no ground wire. Whenever I turn off the record player, which I have to do to flip the records, I hear a loud pop sound unless I turn the volume down on the preamp first. I don't hear this noise when I turn the turntable on though. The guy who sold me the amp and preamp says this pop is because I don't have a ground wire hooked up to the ground "stud" on the preamp. He told me, "this preamp is designed for higher end turntables that have a seperate ground wire." So, I thought maybe I could add a ground wire to the turntable somehow. I asked the U.S. sales rep/distributor for Rega if this could be done and he said, "adding a ground lead to the arm will do nothing for the pop you get when you turn off the turntable. The arm is already grounded through the shield of the left channel." So, I don't know what to do. Are both of these guys right? Any thoughts on how to get rid of the pop? I just wonder, if a preamp is designed to be grounded through the ground stud, can it be properly grounded through the shield of the left channel?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Is my preamp grounded properly? - bigblueoxe 08:27:38 03/07/12 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.