Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Valve Amplification Company

I would characterize the VAC house sound as articulate, airy, extended tube sound. It doesn't sound warm and tubey like Conrad Johnson or Cary products. I would say that VAC's sound is closer to Audio Research's in speed and resolution, but maintains a tad more midrange liquidity than ARC.

I owned a VAC Renaissance mk II preamp a few years ago and Ialso owned a ARC Ref 3 preamp. I would say that in my system, the ARC was more dynamic and powerful, while the VAC was a bit more musical. The VAC had more air in the highs, more space around the musicians. VAC runs a nice balance between the warm, musical tube gear and the fast, analytical tube gear. Overall I find it leans more towards the transparent side than the warm side. I hope this helps.

I currently own a VAC Avatar Super integrated amp. It's not the sweetest, most powerful, most dynamic, most extended sound that I've ever had in my listening room. However, it is ALWAYS involving and very musical, easy to listen to for hours on end.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Valve Amplification Company - Justlisten2 20:01:00 03/06/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.