Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: The clicking is not a feature.

Maybe my use of the word "loud" did throw her off. In my text, I did specify I hear it only over things like bass solos. FYI, I pasted in below what I wrote to her. I tried to make it accurately reflect our mutual experience with the M3.

I definitely don't hear the clicking over a mixed program. In fact, I've noticed that over speaking voices, it's often virtually absent, for some reason.

I bought my M3 online from audioadvisor.com, so no dealer to go to. I'm still within the 30 day return period. If the M3 weighed 10 lbs, I already would have sent it back for a different unit. But its 51 lb weight is not easy for my back. Packaged in the oversized box with all its cushioning, it weighs in at 68 pounds. So I've been trying to avoid having to take it off the rack, package, and then unpack and install another unit.

Anyhow, your continued input is always appreciated!

Here's what I wrote to NAD:

2012-02-26 23:42 loud noise on M3 when turning volume control

I recently bought an M3.

Starting about three days into ownership, I started to hear a clicking noise when turning the volume control. I know NAD says this is normal. Others have reported this when no music is playing, and they are right near the speakers.

But my situation is quite different.

I sit 8 feet from the speakers, and the clicking can sometimes be audible over the music. If you turn the volume up via the remote, the clicking increases in volume in lockstep with the music.

I should say, that I can hear the clicking over the music from 8 feet away, only when there is just a single instrument or two being played, for example a bass solo, or quiet piano.

To troubleshoot, I changed CD player, interconnects and CD's. I also disconnected my line conditioner and plugged the amp directly into the wall. No help.

U.S. rep. Bob Moran told me some clicking is normal, but something could be wrong to make the clicking so loud.

An NAD authorized repair technician, who has fixed other things for me, told me it sounds like the digital is improperly leading into the audio.

I'm thinking my unit is defective and I should get it replaced.

It would be great if my query could be forwarded to the designer of the amp, Mr. Bjørn Erik Edvardsen.

Thanks!

Edits: 02/29/12 02/29/12 02/29/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The clicking is not a feature. - basslover99 16:42:22 02/29/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.