Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Advice for tubed preamp/amp combo under 9-10K

I have, I was able to audition some ARC gear. It sounds good but I wasn't able to get as good of a feel for it as I'd like. I've also done a lot of reading and targeted emailing on forums and essentially put myself almost back at square one.

I'm going to re-listen to the VTL over the weekend. My concern with VTL as a brand is reliability which seems to have been an issue at least for some earlier models. Also thinking back on it, it sounded quite warm and I need to re-listen to make sure that instruments I know well sound right. If I rule it out for tonal reasons then I'm going to open things up to non-auditionable gear which I'm not sure is a mistake or not.

I've read a lot about Herron Audio gear. In theory I like his approach best because his goal is to have no sonic signature and let the source determine everything. If I didn't go that way there are some new tube monos by Bob Carver that are supposed to be fantastic. I'd pair them with a modwright or PT Grand Pre.

So I'd say at this point I'm very firmly undecided.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Advice for tubed preamp/amp combo under 9-10K - Jataro 19:24:19 02/23/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.