Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Journey to a high quality low heat sytem. (long)

I've found that messing with one of my main systems (Luxman MB3045 monoblocs/ ARC SP16 or Mac 2275 integrated amplifier) to try get the heat output lower just screwed up the system symmetry I spent years trying to achieve. Also while I have ceiling fans in the room operation of them at any speed other than low interferes with my listening pleasure.
I should mention that I live in a (very) rural community where air conditioners are not allowed and rarely needed but, there are some days even here in the hills that get to the high 80's/low 90's
Thus, I decided to build a low heat output system that would at least approach the quality of my present equipment. The challenge was that I wanted to stay with tubes and the investment couldn't get out of hand now that I am retired. What to do? I would need minimal tube complement amplification and even the heat output of SET's with 300B's or 245's was still too much to deal with in hot weather. A used pair of little ASL Wave 8 monoblocs came to my rescue. Always well reviewed and using only two small 6BM8's per amp (I'm using Mullards at the moment) their heat output is minimal. Lower even than most SS class A/B amps. The downside being that they don't have much current output and thus low impedance speakers were out regardless of their efficiency. Well around that time Zu was running an introductory sale on their Omens for $1000.00 a pair and they featured a 12 ohm impedance with a 98dB SPL. I already had an ARC SP9MKIII (only 2 6DJ8's) or the SS ARC SP7 for low heat output preamps both with built-in phono sections (again less heat).
How did it sound when put together? Once the Zu's broke-in, better than I could have ever dreamed of. The bass especially was a big surprise as this was the one area where I presumed I would have to live with less. No such luck the bottom is solid to the mid 30's and typical of a Zu fast and tuneful.The mids are excellent and the highs are clean, crisp but not in the least bit fatiguing. The Omens are fast, easily the most electrostatic sounding dynamic speakers I have ever owned and while they can sound bright with some amps this is not an issue with the Wave 8's. So,that was my journey to a summer system the total investment if I include what I paid for the SP9 MKIII was under $2300 and I got my tubes and enough output to fill my rather large 27' x 19' listening room. The heat output is barely noticeable certainly a fraction of what I was used to. Mission accomplished! (and for once within budget!!!!)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.