Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Help with electronics making my audio roomTOO hot.

I wouldn't give up too quickly on the hood scheme. It's practicality probably turns on how reasonable it is to route the ducting. Visualize something along the lines of dryer hose terminating into small homemade hoods that can be integrated right into your rack or shelves right over the hot spots of your amplifiers. The other end goes into a plenum of some sort with a slight vacuum from a remote fan. It really takes very little airflow to make a big difference if you can capture the heat before it has much of a chance to disperse, so you shouldn't hear it.

If the culpability of the various components is uncertain I suggest just measuring their input power at idle. A wattmeter or ammeter is all it takes and it will be more reliable than an IR thermometer because you won't have to estimate radiation area. All of the energy your system uses ends up as heat in your room.

I don't care for A/C so that would be my last choice behind wearing bermuda shorts and sipping rum drinks while listening. If you leave your gear on all the time consider putting it on a timer so it's off when you sleep or work but is warmed-up before you are likely to listen.

Have fun, Rick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.