Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Advice for tubed preamp/amp combo under 9-10K

Hi all,
I'm a first time writer. I think this forum has a lot of really good information and I'm hoping that I could get a little help with my first real Hi-Fi system. I saved up for a while to do this and my budget for the preamp/amp is 9-10K max. I prefer the sound of tubes over SS but I'm not locked into tubes. I listen to almost every genre of music and the system has to have a HT bypass. I know this is silly but for the WAF it has to be fully remote operable. My current speakers are Vandersteen 3A sigs. Sources will be oppo 95 and streaming music via DAC. Eventually it will include phono as well.
I've heard the VTL 2.5 preamp and the ST-150 amp and I'm going to do a head to head with the 5.5 series II preamp. To me it sounds fantastic especially with voices. The downside to it is that it's getting up to and out of the top of my budget so I'm looking for alternatives that sound as good. I've heard the Luxman 550 integrated which is really good but lags behind the VTL. Same thing for the Naim uniti and Superuniti and the VTL integrated. I'm open to anything but as my local dealers carry Audio Research, Cary, Rogue, PS audio, McIntosh, Naim, Luxman, and Ayre I'd favor those since I can hear them. Older used gear is good too. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Thank you!
Jat

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Advice for tubed preamp/amp combo under 9-10K - Jataro 08:27:45 02/13/12 (41)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.