Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Audio Note Japan vs. Audio Note UK Gear

I posted in the Cable Forum, in a post that initially dealt with the new Audio Note UK Sogon Silver power cables (which are the best that I have ever used) the following comments about the difference to my taste between my former Audio Note Japan system and my present Audio Note UK system. As my thoughts on these two systems really belong here,I am reposting my previous comments on the two systems here.

Probably not many on this Forum have enjoyed both an Audio Note Japan and an Audio Note UK system. I used to have a Kondo system composed of an Ongaku and Silver 7 Phono Preamp and I now have an Audio Note UK System, composed of Kegon mono amps with WE300b valves and a M8 Phono preamp. Both systems used an Audio Note UK E silvered speaker system and all Audio Note silver cables.

My bottom line in thinking about the two systems is that in my humble judgement as an audiophile for over 50 years my present Audio Note UK system is more satisfactory to me than my former Kondo System. Not to diminish the Kondo System, which I had for over 10 years, but the Kondo System, once I was very used to it, began leaving me vaguely dissatisfied and a trifle bored with its consistent golden glow that it gave to all of my LPs and CDs. This Kondo golden glow made all music that I played have a similar very, very pleasant sound, which after living with the Kondo gear for a decade, I found far from transparent to the source.

After passing the 10 year mark with the Kondo System, I tried the AN System described above and found that it displayed far better the distinctions between the various recordings in my collection and sounded absolutely wonderful with a well recorded piece and with a less well recorded piece, I could clearly hear the difference in the various recordings. The Kondo System narrowed the distinction between the recordings and gave all of my recorded music the same pleasant golden glow.

After trying the AN UK system described above, I sold the Kondo System and bought the Audio Note UK system. It took a bit to get used to the difference between the Ongaku's 211s and the Kegon's 300bs. The 211 gives you an unusually full and rich sound with punch. But the Kegons with Western Electric 300bs won out with a utterly to die for mid range and a greater transparency to the source while retaining the Ongaku's wonderful impact of an all silvered SE amp and preamp. I am very glad to have had the Kondo Ongaku and Silver 7 system for over a decade and remember them with great affection and respect, particularly when I recall the era in which they first came into the market. But, I would not go back to the Kondo system, even had I not installed on my UK system the new Audio Note UK Sogon Power Cords, which materially improved the transparency to source of my present System. I did not have any reason other than the comparative sound of the two systems to sell the Kondo gear in favor of the UK gear. I did not do it to liquidate cash out of the Kondo System - I did it because I found the UK gear to better fit my needs and, now that I have had the UK gear for a number of years, I have even more appreciated the switch.

I realize that this is a very subjective analysis and post this with great respect for what Kondo did to elevate the SE amp to prominence with the careful use of silver and great effort in crafting the silver output transformers that would make history in a SE amp' performance. I am very happy that Peter Qvortrup and Andy Grove have pushed the bar quite a bit forward from that earlier era and thoroughly enjoy my present system (except when my wife turns the volume down in the middle of a beautiful passage).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Audio Note Japan vs. Audio Note UK Gear - Cicerosecundus 07:06:24 02/05/12 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.