Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Kootenay, a few follow up questions if I may ...

It is interesting that you found the VT130 SE to have better low end performance than the VT100 MKII as I've read that the VT130 SE is not so great in this area. Wes Philips actually referred to the bass response as "anemic" in his 11/1996 Stereophile review of the VT130 SE. Perhaps his version did not have the Infinicap upgrade - judging by the date of the review this may well be the case.

Do you know if you were listening to a VT100 MKI or a VT100 MKII? If it was a VT 100 MKI it would have had 1/2 the energy storage capacity of a MKII and it may not have had the Infinicap upgrade (almost certainly not if it was a stock MKI).

So, if your listening experience was a pre Infinicap MKI vs. an Infinicaped 130 it might explain why your perception and that of Mr. Philips are so different.

I would be very interested to hear your opinion of the soundstaging capabilities of the two. Was one markedly better/differnt than the other?

Thanks again for your response - it jives with my gut feeling re the two amps and directly addressed my inquiry. And, if your personal choice of amplifier is any indication, you are in a very good position to judge how visceral these amps are. The D-250 is a thing of beauty.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.