Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

RE: Solid State Power: MOSFET vs. Bipolar?

Yep, karma,
I've been aware and heard of people doing the preowned swap and roll thing for a while. I'm not going to get on that bus.
And yes, there are bunches of amps out there which would qualify as testable. I'd personally like to try a Mac with my panels. Or Bryston....or a Pass.
I have no interest, however, in going 'tube'. Here's what would happen. I buy a nice tube amp. Something of decent power and good reputation. I don't like it. Than the trouble would start. 'Why didn't you try XYX tubes?' OR 'Those nasty I/Cs are the problem.....Junk 'em out!' OR 'You use WHAT for speaker wire? That's in insult to that fine amp'.
I've seen suggestions and comments like above for while now. Even stuff that makes no sense. Guys' got a hum.....Sounds to me like some kind of ground problem or maybe a dimmer or other device on the same line. Next thing you know, he's induced to lift all his grounds, buy a 2kva iso transformer and get the power company to run him a new feed and transformer. Problem persists. His wife sews at the times he likes to listen and the motor control of the sewing machine is putting some 'hash' on the line and some RF in the air.

I see you've had your speakers for a LONG time....at least by hifi standards. This is a good thing, to me, at least. I had my first set of panels for 20+ years and a rebuild thru WhiteBear Lake. Sold 'em to buy some 1.6s and a new amp.... Magnepan is Magnepan...even over longer time periods. The only thing they screwed up, IMO was when they rotated the pole piece to the BACK and sold 'em with the mylar side to the listener. Just my opin, but I have ROTATED my panels and listen to the pole piece side to great satisfaction.

Cheers::
Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.