Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

My first impression(s)

I've been meaning to write back about my experience with Diablo but have not for the following reasons:

Audition 1: Diablo + Mordaunt Short Performance 6 (LE) + Luxman universal cdp

Audition 2: Diblo + MartinLogan electrostatic speakers + Metronome cdp

In 1, the speakers were brand new... Unfortunately sound was rather boring for my taste, although have to admit good detail and something quality about it that with a few days listen I might get used to. After a while swapped to a pair of Dali speakers (believe Mentor 6) and the sound was better but still something amiss... Then we went into the next room using the same cd and plugged into a multi-squillion dallar system, and alas thought the sound was even more brain numbing than before! So not sure whether I was in a foul mood or not to have caused such bad tasting that day. Certainly speakers not broken in does not help.

In 2, would you believe it the amp was brand new! So he asked me to come back in 2 weeks. I asked for a taste anyway. I compared with some fine looking Conrad Johnson separates (costing a little more altogether than Diablo). Overall sound was likeable on Martinlogan with fantastic soundstange thrown all around the room. Detail and separation were better on the already run-in COnrad Johnsons but bass factor seemed better on Diablo. Saleman told me Diablo does NOT go well with B&W speakers, claiming it is very musical and should combine with something less so (or in his word more crude/rough) rather than something else also musical like b&w805s. However I would tend to characterize 805s similar to Martinlogan - so this confuses me a little.

So unforunately the couple of audtions have not been fruitful. Will try again soon.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.