Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

REVIEW: Dynaco ST-70 KIT Dynaco ST-70 KIT Amplifier (Tube)

Model: Dynaco ST-70 KIT
Category: Amplifier (Tube)
Suggested Retail Price: $695
Description: An upgraded Dynaco ST-70 in KIT form
Manufacturer URL: Dynaco ST-70 KIT
Model Picture: View

Review by hubbard3@comcast.net on June 28, 2008 at 04:22:02
IP Address: 68.38.133.194
Add Your Review
for the Dynaco ST-70 KIT

I was looking for Dynaco products on Audiogon and ran across an ad from Bob Latino. He offers a new ST-70 amp in kit form with all new or upgrades parts for $695. I`ve been wanting to try another tube amp for quite some time but the cost for even a used one is out of reach. I gave him a call, we talked and it was at my door in 3 days. All the parts are in separate resealable bags and clearly labeled. The assembly instructions are very easy and leave no guesswork. Included is a color pictorial of the completed bottom section so you can go back and check your work. I`ve never built a kit before and this one is a joy. The unit comes with a stainless steel chassis( gorgeous, looks like a mirror),upgraded driver board which takes 3- 12at7`s, 4 bias adjust pots for the EL34`s, exact copies and makeup of the original transformers and more. After assembly it took about 100 hrs. to really shine and I was very pleased. Being a 40+ year veteran tweakoholic in this hobby I asked Bob how I could go further. A few days later 4 Russian PIO caps arrived. I would suggest if you purchase the kit get these caps from the start they make a HUGE differance after broken in. Replaced the 12at7`s with GE triple mica and the EL34`s ( although the Valve Art supplied with the kit turned out to be really great tubes) with EH EL34`s. Tried many things , mostly hype , and I must say this is a sure keeper.

Product Weakness: none at all
Product Strengths: price point for certain, ability to tweak to my hearts` content,texture and TONE quality, detail, real detail not electronically exaggerated HF to sound like you`re hearing more.

Associated Equipment for this Review:

Amplifier: ST-70
Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): Musical Fidelity CR3
Sources (CDP/Turntable): CAL Aria and Euphonic Technologies
Speakers: MMG`s and Cain and Cain Abby
Cables/Interconnects: Sleltz anti cable and interconnect
Music Used (Genre/Selections): Rock, jazz, acostic
Room Size (LxWxH): 12 x 20 x 8
Room Comments/Treatments: acoustic foam panels
Time Period/Length of Audition: 30 days
Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Powervar
Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - REVIEW: Dynaco ST-70 KIT Dynaco ST-70 KIT Amplifier (Tube) - hubbard3@comcast.net 04:22:02 06/28/08 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.