Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Krell FPB-700cx Repair

I purchased a Krell FBP-600c amplifier new from Sound Advice in Florida May 2001. I had to ship it back to Krell service for repair in April 2005 because it totally failed. During that repair I accepted a Krell offer to upgrade the unit to 700cx specs. At that time I felt the failure was simply an anomaly and so I was confident the repair and upgrade would avert any further service issues. The Krell amp replaced a VTL-300 tube amp that caused me similar outages and expense for a number of years.

Now the Krell amp has failed again (right channel) a little over three years later! So once again my audio listening has been compromised due to the failure of a high end stereo amp. Not only that, but the freight shipping of this behemoth is costly and risky. Of course the amp is now out of warranty (5 years) so in addition to the shipping charges I'll also be paying for the repair.

It would be a gross understatement to say I’m exceedingly disappointed and frustrated at the failure rate of this amplifier considering the money I have spent on it. Bearing in mind this is the second major failure of this audio equipment in 7 years I’m now also very concerned about the long term reliability of this heavy, expensive class A amplifier, and certainly now less confident of keeping this equipment long term.

While I understand the Krell FPB-700cx is a much bigger, more complex, heat generating amp, I still own a Acurus 200X3 amp purchased in 1996 and a Yamaha M-45 amp purchased in 1987 that have never failed. I'm considering selling the Krell amp when it returns from service and buying another high powered amp (e.g., Muscial Fidelity kW750). But unfortuately there doesn't seem to be much information about audio equipment reliability.

Anyone have any similar experiences with their main power amp?

Len

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Krell FPB-700cx Repair - lenw 14:06:40 06/20/08 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.