Home Amp/Preamp Asylum

Looking for a new Amp or Preamp? If you're after tubes, post over here.

Krell KAV-2250 vs. KAV-150a

In the mid-90s, Krell made a splash into the middle class market by introducing the KAV-300i integrated amp. But for roughly the same price (US$2350), Krell also produced a KAV-150a power amp.

Earlier this decade, Krell revamped their lineup, and incorporated the visually pleasing light silver finish called "Krell Clearcoat." Their KAV-2250 power amp now retails for, I was told, US$4500.

You can read my blog for information on the amps' features and operations, as well as what music I listen to. And if you peruse that blog, you'll also get to read about all the other audio stuff that comes my way. What I wish to answer here is how they compare, sonically. But first, here is some of the equipment used in comparing the Krell amps.

Digital sources: Cary CD 303/300, EAR Acute, Esoteric DV-60, Meridian G08; Sirius satellite radio
Analog sources: Rega P9, VPI Super Scoutmaster, Benz Ebony LP, Koetsu RSP and Jade Platinum
Powerline conditioners: Nordost Thor, Power Wing
Preamps: Krell KAV-280p and KRC-HR, Mark Levinson No. 326S, Simaudio P-8
Interconnects and speaker cables: Nordost Valhalla and Odin, Tara Labs The One, XLO Limited Edition
Powercords: Nordost Valhalla, Shunyata Anaconda Alpha Helix
Speakers: Audio Physic Spark; ProAc Response One SC; Sonus Faber Concertino, Concertino Home, Grand Piano Home, Cremona Auditor, Guarneri Memento; Thiel CS1.6 and CS2.4; Totem Hawk, Model 1 Signature, Forest, Mani-2 Signature

The KAV-2250 can be quite sensitive to cabling. With the wrong cables, it can sound poofy, congested, and heavy. With other wrong cables, it can sound cutting and kind of spotlit and harsh in the mids.

The KAV-150a seems to say, "Just gimme whatever cable you got, and I'll play along."

I don't know what the specs are, but the 2250 seems to have 1 or 2dB more gain, which is a bad thing. This further squeezes your preamp's volume control. For example, when using balanced operation, the KAV-280p's volume readout was around 16 (out of 151), with average sensitivity speakers, such as the Sonus Faber Concertino Home. Obviously, if you are using an unbalanced amp, you get 6dB more play.

All else being equal, the 2250 reproduces the soundstage's depth accurately. The 150a truncates the depth and lines up the performers in more a wall-of-sound cinerama.

With the 2250, the images themselves are bigger, more 3D.

Overall, the 2250 can be lithe in the mids and highs, with a chunky, powerful bass. In comparison, the 150a sounds "scalloped" in the mids. they are leaner, scratchier, harder, grainier.

Though the 2250 is lithe, like gently waving your hand back and forth, the music doesn't start fast enough. No such problem with the 150a, which is fast like a blender. Instead of waving your hand, the 150a is like a rapid-fire massage.

The 2250 reminds me of the play, Cats. During intermission, the fat cat, instead of walking off stage and taking a break, actually stands there. He just calmly and patiently waits there.

The 150a is more like a skinny cat, darting with blinding speed across the alley. Does she knock over garbage cans? Yes. Does she get all dirty? Yes. Does she miss some food scraps along the way? Yes. But does she get to where she needs to go, and do it in style? Hell yeah!

The 2250 sounds pretty much like any other modern day solid state amp. Ho hum. But the 150a, though lacking depth, finesse, cleanliness, and purity, knows how to take the music, and make it rock! I was flicking through all the music stations on Sirius radio, and as the genres flew by, I realized that, regardless of what came on, the 150a shreds!

In order to get the most out of the KAV-150a, be sure to choose associated gear which is capable of presenting full-scaled images on a large soundscape. Make sure you don't add any grain, grit, hardness, or upper-midrange nastiness. The 150a actually sounds better-balanced through Krell's KAV-280p preamp, instead of the older but more expensive KRC-HR.

When comparing the 2250 and 150a, I can see how the sound has evolved and become more refined. But in getting to the spirit and grind of the music, I think Krell has taken a step back. If you get off on the music (as opposed to just sitting there, intellectualizing about it), chances are, you'll have a more spastically good time with the older 150a.

-Lummy The Seahorse

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Krell KAV-2250 vs. KAV-150a - Luminator 16:02:57 10/25/07 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.