Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

From the mouth of Jim Winey

The report I got from Jim was that when the US banned freon, 3M switched to a propellant in the 3M spray which contains butane, a solvent for contact cement. The old procedure was to spray the 77 cement, lay the wires down and then brush another coat of contact cement over the wires. This worked unless the 77 was not fully cured and then the butane would dissolve the contact cement bond. It took several years for Magnepan to figure this out because they had cases of the older freon stuff in their lab and could not dupliucate the results in the field, and, of course, 3M did not tell them that the propellant had butane in it. They switched to the Miloxane in the interim hoping to cure the problem.
Their current 'quasi ribbon' is a sandwich of mylar and a foil voice coil and solves the problem but their bass panels still employ the glue and wire.
My procedure differs from yours in after cleaning the panels I hold down the wires with a steel rod, although an allen wrench set works well also. The magnets will keep the steel in place. I then take a small 1" brush and literally paint bulk contact cement (I use a 3M industrial product) unto the wires: a thin coat first to make sure that the wire is attached, and then after the first coat has dried, I follow with a thicker coat (of course, after removing the steel hold downs). The procedure works well and I rarely have problems following.
I would add that you ought to clean any corrosion spots you see and reseal the area with contact cement.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • From the mouth of Jim Winey - unclestu52 15:15:48 05/04/05 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.