Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Magnepan Voice Coil Repair - A Saga

Imbedding the wire in the film would be virtually impossible. If one could come up with a method it would most likely have to be done at the film mfgr. end which would make the cost of the film/mylar/wire skyrocket. I could see a price point of $50-70K easily for a Maggie. If such a thing could even be done. I just don't see this as practical for any company let alone a company as small as Magnepan.

I have had custom mylar produced by DuPont. It is expensive to say the least. Something like imbedding the wire would be way past Magnepan's engineering or manufacutring prowess I imagine. DuPont or some similiar supplier would have to develop the process. The price tag would blow one's mind!

About the closest one might see is the Maggie QR type tweeter, or Infinity EMIT/EMIM and other such approaches. Instead of glueing a small diamter wire to the film, which has an extremely small contact area, the wire is 'flat'. Much more contact area with the film, hence better long-term adhesion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Magnepan Voice Coil Repair - A Saga - kentaja@yahoo.com 12:30:23 05/03/05 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.