Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Ask Mart, He Knows All, Sees All

I think it is because in the middle the surface tension of everything around you keeps you stuck. On the edge, you have a side where the surface tension ends, which allows for failure as it's the one weak spot. Stickers never peel from the middle either.

As to why they bend, once a wire comes off it is going to move when the speaker plays. At the point where the separation occurs the topside of the wire is under compression, while the underside of the wire by the mylar is getting stretched ever so slightly as the vibrations try to pull it away.

So as more and more comes off, it will have a slight bent put in it from this compression and stretching, which even defies gravity as coils on the bottom bend upwards as well.

At least that would be my guess.

As to why they come off, IMHO it happens because 3M 77 sucks eggs. If you use a REAL adhesive, a mans adhesive mind you, I think that will resolve the issue for good and the ends no longer will be able to pull away.

As far as I know as well, the DAP does not deteriorate over time like the 3m and milloxane apparently do. I know old timers who have used it to veneer with never a failure.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.