Model: MG2.7/QR Category: Speaker Stands Suggested Retail Price: $300 Description: Magnepan MG1.6/QR Stand Manufacturer URL: Mye Sound Manufacturer URL: Mye Sound
Review by Mart (A) on October 30, 2004 at 10:49:43
IP Address: 22.214.171.124
Add Your Review
for the MG2.7/QRRight off you can detect an increased clarity. There's substantially more resolution. This is akin to when I brought Marigo CD mats, then bought Aurio bearing feet, then bought Auric Illuminator, then bought a DeskSysteme CD lathe, & finally upgraded my transport's clock to SOTA. It was yet another veil removed. Some veils were more mucky than others. This is not subtle. It's extremely audible. There's no nuance improvement involved here. It's as if you have conventional domes & cones dynamic speaker sonics in a boxless planar presentation. It even sounds 3dB more efficient.
Upon closer listening, you can't help but notice more low-level details are not only exposed but surprisingly-well imaged as the music is much more resolved ... over the entire spectrum, which is something I didn't expect to hear. I suspect it made my other signal chain upgrades that much more audible. This increased dynamic range has made my system clearly more analog sounding.
I was in a unique position, as I was tweaking my newly designed XO simultaneously. I for one of the two months had one XO being tweaked, and one stock Maggie. For one thing it did no harm. (I thought my speakers were a bit shouty afterwars but I was mistaken. It was my room instead & why I added my egg-crate tweak orinally. It was a rude reminder.) 1st, my mostly stock Maggie (had new binding posts & bypassed back plate) seemed to wake-up as if from an extended comatose hibernation, but what's this ... is it bass? Before the stand, I had what sounded like an 8" woofer low-frequency roll-off. Now, it's like a 10" woofer's.
OK, now onto my new XO. The stands made the XO upgrade that much more audible. I had heard what the new parts did before, or may be more appropriately said ... what the upgarded parts didn't do. Ignoring the new values for a second, the new parts had the detail. They were sonically even more musical yet. Clearly, the woofer's inductor had much reduced DCR that provided punch, but the stands gave that punch authority. Pianos sound much much much more grand. The same piece sounds like a toy piano on the old Maggie. Even wind instruments sound very very good. They wouldn't blow before like they were propelled from horn speakers. Now it sounds as if they instruments were authentically blown & you heard them from a few rows back. Yes, I have both Maggies done now. The charm is riveting. The imaging, rock steady. The soundstage, explosive.
I also asked Grant for a horizontal crossbar between the buttress struts near the top where they screw into the Maggie's back about 4ft up. Immediately, it reduced stand vibrations. I don't think I need sand with just this simple bar.
However, I had a different concern. I wanted to insert some styrofoam to stiffen the vertical magnet array in the some 1Â¾" gap. I thought reducing magnet vibration from Newtonian reactionary forces might add some more detail. I was wrong. It did make the sound tighter though. The transients follow the signal now. Without the styrofoam the transients sustain longer. Some may perfer the sustain instead as the vibrating magnetic gap seems to introduce a natural decay that may not be in the some signals.
Also, low-frequency roll-off rate is slower. The low-frequency roll-off point is no lower, but 20Hz is actually audible now. It's still at a very low-volume though. It's woefully insufficient as a signal itself, but as a subhamonic it's enough to generate a sense of genuineness for above 40Hz. Again, surprise!
Product Weakness: still trying to find one ... perhaps I should look harder? Product Strengths: Clarity & Increased Dynamics with over a half-octave low-frequency extension.
Associated Equipment for this Review: Amplifier: Krell:KAV-1500 w/Shakti:Stone Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): EAD:StandingOvation w/Shakti:Stone Sources (CDP/Turntable): CAL:CL-10 upgraded w/SuperClock Speakers: Magnepan MG1.6/QR w/upgarded XO Cables/Interconnects: AudioMagic:Sorcerers&Illusions Music Used (Genre/Selections): classic rock, psychedelic rock, fusion rock, melodic metal, pop country & pasionate classical Room Size (LxWxH): 21 x 14 x 10 Room Comments/Treatments: hemi-cylindrical egg-crated Maggies & one rough-hewn brick-wall behind listener Time Period/Length of Audition: 2 months Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Tice:Solo&Enhancer w/3 BlueCircle:NoiseHounds Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - REVIEW: Mye Sound MG2.7/QR Speaker Stands - Mart 10:49:43 10/30/04 (26)
- Mye Sound MG2.7/QR Speaker Stands - hemholtz 07:31:07 11/01/04 (1)
- Re: Mye Sound MG2.7/QR Speaker Stands - Mart 08:07:35 11/01/04 (0)
- Heard a friend's 2.5R the other day and... - morricab 01:40:09 11/01/04 (3)
- Re: Heard a friend's 2.5R the other day and... - Mart 08:37:35 11/01/04 (2)
- Re: Heard a friend's 2.5R the other day and... - morricab 02:40:24 11/02/04 (1)
- Re: the original XO was inside, I know, I just bought a pair of 2.5/R's. -NT - Aroc 04:00:15 11/02/04 (0)
- MG2.7/QR or 1.6's??? - EmailTim 08:29:00 10/31/04 (1)
- MG2.7 _ d@mn, I cut&pasted the "MG1.6" for uniformity with the pre-existing Review template - Mart 08:39:51 10/31/04 (0)
- Congratulations! - Scott 2.6/R 18:28:29 10/30/04 (13)
- Re: Congratulations! - monk1 08:52:29 10/31/04 (6)
- According to a customer who's gone from 1.6's to 3.6's to 20.1's.... - grantv 20:06:10 11/09/04 (0)
- I'll ask about the 20.1 vs. 3.6 improvement. - grantv 12:16:23 11/01/04 (0)
- Re: Congratulations! - Green Lantern 09:18:46 10/31/04 (3)
- Re: Congratulations! - Mart 21:26:08 10/30/04 (5)
- PS: almost forgot - Mart 13:49:42 10/30/04 (2)
- Tweeters inside or outside? (Nt) - Beluga 14:34:28 10/30/04 (1)
- Re: outside - Mart 15:02:14 10/30/04 (0)
- Mye Sound MG2.7/QR Speaker Stands - middleground 12:29:03 10/30/04 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.