Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

XO update 5

I had the AuriCaps on (back)order. In the interum, I first tried using the stock 50uF ceramic cap but that made the woofer sound very loose & it lost all resolution. I then tried a 55uF high-grade Solen I had around which made the panel tighten up to expected levels I had anticipated from AuriCap. Finally, the 60uF AuriCaps arrived. I've had the Maggie playing for a week at low volumes. Last night I had to check them out. That large copper-wired woofer panel now sounds as tight (or comparably so) as my narrow aluminum-wired midrange. AuriCap simply ROCKS as an even-order low-pass filter's parallel capitor! Between the 8ga North Creek & AuriCap, the XO sounds active so much it's creepy. I think my ears are lying to me. No wonder people love high-voltage versions in similar amplifier applications.

The dilema: in-phase midrange sounds like a high-end 2-way. Out of phase midrange sounds like a 1-way with laidback vocals. I think I'm gonna have to install a switch! Maybe a button in front?!

PS: Mundorfs no longer ring with or without grill coth.

... just my 2¢

moderate Mart £

Planar Asylum

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • XO update 5 - Mart 06:29:26 08/13/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.