Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Dipole placement tweak report

I recently tried the placement tweak found on the MUG site (link is below).

I never thought it would work...but it is awesome. Decidedly less "audiophile" but it sounds more like music. It took some time to get used to, but I find myself singing along much more than before. It really is amazing to look at the speakers, and hear a wonderful soundstage, and strong vocals.

The treble and the midrange are smoother. THe center image is improved too...more real. Like a live performance, the little details are there, but less resolved than the "normal" setup. I think this sounds more realistic. Things are just more enjoyable, and sound better. The sound stage is less deep, but it was artificially deep and more like a half oval before. Now it is much more realistic. It is also wider because the speakers are further apart...90".

I think I can pull it off because I only sit 3 ft from the plane of the speakers....it is a small room (10x11x8). From where I sit, I can see the whole speaker. I imagine if I was 10ft back, all I could see is the wood trim, and it wouldn't sound that good. But up close, it is great.

THe back of the speakers are facing each other so maybe unwittingly, I changed the absolute phase, and things sound better because of it. It is possible, but I could never hear a big difference when I tested this on the XLO test disk, so I don't think that explains things.

THis arrangement also would seem to accomodate larger speakers, as their width could extend closer to the back wall, instead of way out into the room.

Has anyone tried this placement with bigger Maggies?? Or Quads??

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Dipole placement tweak report - Dawnrazor 10:56:27 12/29/03 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.