Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Sure,why not....

I think the KSU2 sounds good. There, I'm done.

Heh, heh...the coil addition was nice and finished off the speaker well. The new crossover point does make the mids more balanced and intregrated. But the cap and black hole was the real pee-down-your-leg experience.

It does not, of course, make the speaker image with the precision of a coherent point source (since it is not one; the images still shift up and down slightly as the sound goes up and down in frequency/tone. But that is to be expected on a quasi-line source. (Maggies just shift from side to side.) The image-shifting phenomenon is most noticable with eyes open; perhaps the sight of the ribbons makes the brain shift with pitch. With eyes closed the image seems much more stable. Aren't psycho-accustics wonderful?

Then again, I have had live guitar music in my own living room and the image shifted with the real instrument too due, no doubt, to room reflections and so on. In fact, sitting right in front of the player, the image was less precise than on a small pair of monitors.

All in all the ribbons are quite wonderful now...and the resolution seems to have no limit. I plan to experiment with different woofers when I get home, as I have a closet full of them. I think the Eaton 8" driver would be quite wonderfull on these babies.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.