Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Zero's strike again!

I had gotten in the (used) Atma-Sphere M60MK2 amps in yesterday and hooked them up to the Newform Ribbons (645). They sounded nice but lacking in bass control. Mids were very good and were warmer and fuller than the Spectron could manage. But that was it. I am thinking "Whats the fuss with OTL?". I thought that the Spectron was better at most everything that mattered. (Clarity, extention, layering.)

Today Paul Speltz's Autoformers arrived. I figured they might help some so I hooked them up (3 to 1) and proceeded to listen to the new Leonard Cohen disk...When I finished picking my jaw up off the floor I started trying different music. NOW I know what the fuss is about. Once relieved of the heavy-current demand (in the bass region of the speaker) the M60's started showing their stuff. The ribbon/M60 combo gives great gobs of Coherent detail. Everything you hear musically matters. I thought the Spectron to be a champ at bass tonality, (and among SS amps it is, though it is not as full in the midbass as some) but the Atma-Sphere beat it handily. I can hear even more of the drum than before, and even more of why it is there. Drum attacks are razor sharp yet naturally resonant in their decay.

Female voices are,well, hornifying. It is a sexual thing to hear Eva Cassidy sing "Songbird". It is a spiritually uplifting thing (as well as sexual) to hear Judy Collins "Amazing Grace". (Note to self: Make up with wife....) Every song is now so much more Interesting!

All in all quite the speaker fix for the Atma-Sphere amps. I am going to experiment and see how SS amps like this transformer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Zero's strike again! - rp1@surfnetusa.com 21:03:50 06/26/03 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.