Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

it is the mutual inductance that's responsible for keeping the inductance

Otherwise, the inductance would be halved just like the resistance. That was the point. I was playing around with this idea ever since I heard of North Creek inductors. I've built speakers with Goertz coils for nearly a decade & now well how foil inductors are required for a clean midrange. However, I suspected that these coils were a big large for a mere 12ga. Then, my suspicions were confirmed by online DIY inductor calculators which speak of over 150' of foil wire. began thinking of it like what gauge of wire would I use for 75' of speaker cables. Suddenly, I realized why the bass is robust with North Creek coils. It's no longer stifled by all this resistance isolating the woofer panel from the amp's damping factor. At an effective 75' of speaker cable, shotgunning twin 12ga wires to create an effective 9AWG is the sane choice.

However, this required testing. I originally contacted s.hum because he wasn’t interested in bi-amplification & he used wirenuts instead of solder. Thus, I suggested he simply try both coils on one speaker & run monaurally to test my theory w/o investing anything but time & effort. Then, after hearing my reasoning he jumped at the opportunity & ordered a 2nd pair to which I sort of felt guilty. So, I am relieved that it worked as planned.

... just my 2¢

» moderate Mart £ «

Planar Asylum

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.