Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Maggie bass 'slam' (or lack thereof)?

Your question about subs is a valid one, IMHO, and one that I am wrestling with right now, also in connection with "bump" and, more specifically, with the bottom octave and filling out the lower end. This may be heresy, but after 7 years with my 1.5's, I would like a more solid lower end feel, one not so dependent on room interaction. And, this is for jazz, clasical, as well as for rock, house etc. I am not a jazz freak at all, but living in Manhattan, I hear a lot of live (acoustic and amplified) music, and I am starting to crave the bass fill-in. I think its mainly to fill-in that -3 db @40hz gap and also bring out the lower octave where the maggies trail off. The trick is to not impede the great natural maggie bass but to supplement it in the above areas, thereby havin the best of both worlds.
I think the important criteria for the sub should be: for it to go low enough using a small woofer for speed and articulation and to minimize higher frequency output; have a low crossover, e.g., 30-35 hz to minimize the duplication of the maggie output; run the sub in parallel with the maggies, which are run full range, so the sub simply goes under the maggies and does not replace the maggie output; have a fairly steep slope for faster trail off; keep the volume low; and, for me, have a reasonable price. The REL's are the obvious choice. However, at $695 (street price), the new Sunfire Jr. true subwoofer, I think will do the job, providing volume is kept low. The sunfire has all the above characteristics (using a small 6.5 inch driver). I think I will buy one tomorrow and will let everyone know. Now, how bout others with their experience on subs?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.